M. H. “Mike” Gertler
Mike Gertler is a managing partner and one of the founders of the Gertler Law Firm, a New Orleans personal injury law firm.
He earned his Juris Doctor degree from Tulane Law School and is a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association, the Louisiana Association for Justice and the American Association for Justice. A significant part of his practice has included civil litigation, products liability law, and toxic torts.
In 2005, Trial Lawyers for Public Justice named Mike Gertler as a 2005 Trial Lawyer of the Year Award Finalist for his work on the Scott v. American Tobacco Company, et.al. case. “The Best Lawyers in America,” published by New York-based Woodward/White Inc., 1987, recognized Mike Gertler as one of America’s Best Lawyers in the Field of Labor and Employment Law.
Also, for 2007-2012 and 2014-17, he was named in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the The National Trial Lawyers. Mike has been selected for inclusion in Louisiana Super Lawyers in 2008 and 2010-2018. New Orleans Magazine selected Mike as a Top Lawyer in the New Orleans area for 2009. He was selected a Who’s Who in American Law for 2009-2012 and a Who’s Who in America for 2011. Mike was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the fields of product liability litigation, mass tort litigation/class actions, and personal injury litigation for 2012-2018. He was also selected the Best Lawyers’ 2013 New Orleans Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs “Lawyer of the Year.” Mike was named to New Orleans CityBusiness’ Leadership in Law Class of 2011.
He has served as a member of The Board of Governors for the Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association.
Mike has served as a judge ad hoc in Municipal Court and has taught at the Tulane University School of Law as an adjunct professor in the trial advocacy program.
His civic activities include a past presidency of Congregation Beth Israel.
Wrongful Death Claims
Construction Accidents & Injuries
Electrical & Construction Related Burn Injuries
Brain Injuries/Traumatic Brain Injury/TBI
Tractor Trailer Accidents
Injuries from Defective Products
Rail Road/Train Accidents
Industrial Accidents & Injuries
Birth Injury/Cerebral Palsy
Nursing Home Negligence
Nursing Home Abuse
Premises Liability/Non-Secure Premises
Oil Rig Injuries
Other Serious Injuries From Accidents
Pain Pump Injury Claims
Johnson & Johnson Hip Replacement Claims
Reported decisions include:
- Dussouy v. Gulf Coast Inv. Corp., 433 So.2d 1080 (La. App. 4th Cir. 1983);
- Williams v. Public Grain Elevator of New Orleans, Inc., 417 So.2d 398 (La. App. 4th Cir. 1982);
- Prince v. Paretti Pontiac Co., 281 So.2d 112 (La. 1973);
- In re Manguno, 961 F.2d 533 (5th Cir. 1992);
- Stewart v. Parish of Jefferson, 951 F.2d 681 (5th Cir. 1992);
- Trupiano v. Swift & Co., 755 F.2d 442 (5th Cir. 1985);
- Wedgeworth v. Fibreboard Corp., 706 F.2d 541 (5th Cir. 1983);
- Petes v. Hayes, 664 F.2d 523 (5th Cir. 1981);
- Porter v. American Optical Corp., 641 F.2d 1128 (5th Cir. 1981);
- Ferrara v. Intermedics, WL 533973 (E.D. La. 1993);
- Doe v. The Archdiocese of New Orleans 2001-0739 (La. App. 4th Cir. 5/8/02) 823 So.2d 360.
- Scott v. American Tobacco Co., Inc., 04-2095 (La.App. 4th Cir. 2/7/07), 949 So.2d 1266.